Romeo and Juliet is a 2013 film directed by Carlo Carlei and produced by Julian Fellowes, Ileen Maisel, Lawrence Elman, and starring Hailee Steinfeld and Douglas Booth.
- Douglas Booth as Romeo Montague
- Hailee Steinfeld as Juliet Capulet
- Damian Lewis as Lord Capulet
- Kodi Smit-McPhee as Benvolio Montague
- Ed Westwick as Tybalt
- Paul Giamatti as Friar Laurence
- Lesley Manville as Nurse
- Christian Cooke as Mercutio Montague
- Stellan Skarsgård as Prince Escalus of Verona
- Natascha McElhone as Lady Capulet
- Tom Wisdom as Count Paris
- Leon Vitali as Apothecary
- Laura Morante as Lady Montague
- Nathalie Rapti Gomez as Rosaline Capulet
- Tomas Arana as Lord Montague
Filming started on February 3, 2012 in Italy. The film was shot at the grotto Sacro Speco in Subiaco, in Mantua, in Caprarola, Lazio, in Cinecitta', Rome and in Verona. The first pictures of the set were posted on Italian newspaper Gazzetta di Mantova on February 14, 2012. Steinfeld finished filming her scenes on March 7, 2012.
In April 2011, Hailee Steinfeld was said to be in talks for the lead role as Juliet in this new adaptation. Due to Steinfeld's young age, there was some concern she would be asked to appear nude in the film. Director Carlo Carlei explained "there was a lovemaking scene that included nudity for the married Romeo and Juliet. This script was written with a 20-year-old actress in mind. As soon as Hailee Steinfeld was cast, all nudity and lovemaking have been excised from the script. It will be romantic and age-appropriate for a 14-year-old." Julian Fellowes added, "We did feel it would be nice to have romantic, married love, and that purity was an important part of the film. They don’t make love until they have been married."
The role of Romeo was found in June 2011 when Douglas Booth was cast, beating out 300 other actors who were interested in the part. Paul Wesley had been offered the role of Count Paris, but it was announced in February 2012 that Tom Wisdom would play him.